GIPHY is the world’s largest place to search, discover, and create all the GIFs. We’re the leading brand in GIFs and the format. We act as a search engine for people to find content. Our API powers GIF distribution across platforms like iMessage, Facebook, Twitter, Tinder, Slack, WhatsApp and many more. GIPHY serves over 4B GIFS to over 150M people every day. We built the way people talk in GIFs. We want the world to speak visually on top of text.
We’re a wildly creative and passionate group of GIF-obsessed individuals continuing to build out what we believe is the future of GIFs. We have big dreams and goals for 2017 and are looking for like-minded, talented people to join us!
This is an opportunity to be GIPHY’s first in-house DevOps hire. GIPHY.com receives 200M unique visitors per month, our mobile products have millions of users and our API is integrated into some of the biggest digital platforms in the world. We’re looking for a Lead DevOps Engineer to help run and improve our web platforms so we can provide the best, most relevant content in real time. You will be part of a team supporting and scaling the production infrastructure for the delivery of these applications.
- Build and manage software delivery, systems integration, and developer support tools.
- Design and implement quality software delivery solutions.
- Design and deploy applications utilizing components of the AWS stack focusing on high-availability, fault tolerance and disaster recovery.
- Monitor services to maintain uptime.
- Work with developers to help optimize the performance of our web services.
- Support, troubleshoot, monitor and optimize production systems.
- Conducts performance tuning, load testing, optimization of information/data processing, maintenance and support of the production environment.
- Serves as a technical expert on the most difficult support and troubleshooting problems.
- Plan ways to improve the infrastructure, and implement those plans.
- Manage budget of $100K-$500K per month
- 5-7+ years of experience in DevOps or Infrastructure Engineering.
- Expert-level knowledge of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem.
- Software development background and scripting with one or more of the following languages: SQL/MySQL, Scala, Java, Python.
- Strong background in Linux/Unix Administration.
- Experience with automation/configuration management using either Puppet, Chef or an equivalent.
- Familiarity with containerized microservice deployments - especially Kubernetes.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS is required).
- Strong experience with SQL and MySQL (NoSQL experience is a plus, too, since we also use Redis/Dynamo).
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service.
- Sound technical understanding of the use and administration of various Linux distributions (RHEL preferred).
- Experience supporting 24x7, high availability internet application environments that include web, application and database servers and load balancing systems.
- Working knowledge of web and application servers management and configuration (e.g.Nginx, JBoss, Django).
- Experience with build and deployment automation tools (e.g. Maven, Jenkins, Travis).
- Experience with build automation and configuration management tools (e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible).
- Experience with virtualization platforms and cloud technologies (AWS, Docker, Kubernetes).
- Experience with log aggregation tools (Splunk, Elasticsearch, Scalyr).
- Experience with metrics infrastructure tools (New Relic, Statsd, Graphite).