We believe that people who make great things should get paid for the value they give to the world. We strive to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it fast and easy to run a business as a professional creator, so that creators can focus on making art.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. A diversity of perspectives will help us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons, and enable us to best accomplish our mission of funding the creative class. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here!
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill that vision. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
Patreon is looking for an experienced DevOps engineer to join our Infrastructure team and help us scale to the next level. Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $100 million directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, we are looking for a senior engineer to scale up our platform and processes efficiently.
What you will do:
- Create and administer infrastructure -- cloud services, hosts, monitoring tools -- for highly reliable and scalable web applications and data stores.
- Configure and maintain systems with automated tooling.
- Troubleshoot issues in our stack.
- Work closely with peers in security and engineering.
- Train and mentor colleagues.
- Vet new technologies to support operational needs and coworker quality of life.
- Participate in an on-call rotation ~1 week per month.
Projects you might work on:
- Implement a dynamic search feature for the Patreon website.
- Stress test our stack to find cracks in the system and help us scale.
- Design an entirely new way to deploy Patreon’s code.
- Build tools that solve engineering problems and empower people throughout the organization.
- Help our analytics team with machine learning and big data management.
- Re-think how we use configuration management to help us scale past the limits of Ansible.
- Push our core tech stack forward to unlock the exciting capabilities of Python 3.5 and beyond.
Skills and experience you possess:
- 6+ years experience spanning DevOps, Site Reliability, or backend/infrastructure engineering.
- Expertise in configuration management with a framework such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
- Experience scaling a company experiencing fast-paced growth.
- Strong knowledge of cloud computing, especially AWS.
- Strong grasp of Linux and MySQL.
- Proficiency with a programming language like Python or Ruby, and with shell scripting.
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment.
- Relevant understanding of networking, security, and operating system concepts.
- Productive habits, healthy process awareness, and good teamwork skills and instincts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, able to collaborate and rally support.
Impact you will have:
- Scale the foundation of a platform that helps creators pay rent and enables higher levels of creativity.
- Establish a premium standard for Patreon’s infrastructure as a highly reliable and available system supporting constant development.
- Influence the direction of our technical roadmap.
Who you’ll work with:
- An energetic team full of passion for our product.
- Teammates who excel not only at their job but often have artistic talents.