Refinery29 is the leading digital media & entertainment company dedicated to inspiring women to live an informed & well-rounded life. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by delivering optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. Focused around core values of individuality, inclusivity, and impact, we create content that speaks to 360 degrees of a woman’s life, including editorial articles, original video programming, shareable social content across a variety of platforms, and live experiences. Our content sits at the intersection of style and substance, helping our audience live a more informed and inspired life.
About the role:
This is the opportunity to take your career to the next level and be a part of Refinery29’s Experiential Team that produces, creates, ideates, and executes award-winning experiences and destinations for our tentpoles, brand partners, and internal events. We want to harness your skills, ambition, and dreams as a multi-faceted, technical and creative thinker and unleash your power to bring the Refinery29 brand to life across multiple touch-points physically. This role reports to the Director of Production has up to 2 direct reports, includes serious mentorship and works along with a sizable team of talented professionals.
- Assist in implementing a strategic vision to scale experiential business, developing new experiential revenue and partnership opportunities, predominantly in R29’s major internal, tent pole and signature large-scale events and RFPs.
- As Executive Experiential Producer, specific responsibilities over development, management, and production oversight include:
- Report to the Director of Production
- Budget creation and management, including adherence and oversight; updates as necessary and as approved in advance by company
- Venue management including liaison, required staffing, security, logistics, COI and all related venue coordination
- Draft and source estimates, analysis, quotes, schedules, and design deliverables
- Manage vendors and budget within scope; provide cost oversight to ensure cost management and prior due diligence; coordinate with event department to ensure timely payments and agreements
- Project management coordination to outline in advance project deadlines with sufficient notice and time among company departments to execute and avoid cost overages; coordinate with staff Project Manager, if needed, to ensure overall project tracker is updated with relevant event production requests or updates for shared information across company
- Manage junior staff defining responsibilities and oversight
- Coordinate with internal design team department for all needed environmental and graphic elements within event
- Attend all necessary internal and client meetings for the duration of the project
- Assist in managing agendas, schedules and act as lead when and where appropriate
- Collaborate with revenue, creative and content executives on a per project basis to ensure priorities are aligned and goals are met on projects
- Help create events that align with our brand and mission, driving true value across a range of metrics (ie press, social reach, consumer engagement, revenue, client buzz)
- Assist in supporting the guidance of the department growth by streamlining and helping to develop new procedures/best practices to improve efficiency and creative process
- Assist in mentorship and motivation of the production department including fostering cohesion as well as individual development with emphasis on strong communication and transparency. Serve as a direct mentor to select producers meeting regularly and aiming to improve work product quality and grow talent for a promising career path.
What you have:
- Overall expertise in experiential production - the trends, issues and current context as well as the gusto to set new boundaries within the industry.
- Strong understanding of the design, production, technical and build processes.
- The ability to embody our brand and set the direction of the team’s vision, style and methodology for Experiential endeavors.
- A passion for culture, trends, audiences and relevant brands; an interest in creating the future of storytelling through design, creativity, inspiration, and our mission and values. A commitment to nurture and embody inspiration and a desire to push the boundaries in environmental products and build synergies across content initiatives.
- A proven track record and work experience that has honed your ability to go from conception to execution in all aspects of experiential production.
- Expertise in various sizes and formats of events, design practices, management of vendor relationships and ability to source new design and artistic talent.
- Significant experience leading teams, building workflow models, budgets, proposals, schedules, mentoring talent and ensuring deliverable adherence and excellence.
- Extensive experience in maintaining tight timelines within distinct budget parameters.
- Ability to help create, enforce and harbor an idealized production process through a clear plan for how the Production team in Experiential approaches its work and collaborates across all departments.
- A desire to support and mentor a strong, empowered and positive team dynamic by using your tools, resources, humor, connections, and guidance to set the team up for success and champions clear career paths for team members at Refinery29.
- Personality to work seamlessly with editorial, content, communications, talent, video, social, and brands to set the agenda for the company. We want you to help build and nurture relationships with cross-functional leads, stakeholders and brand teams.
- Mastery of Keynote, Excel, Word, Adobe software and support software. Execution knowledge from ideation through construction documentation.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates wild imagination as well as practical application of skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Communications, Marketing, Theater or related field plus 10+ years in a supervising role demonstrating significant management experience.
- Inventive ways to integrate sustainability, recycling, waste management and future use of materials post events.