Refinery29 is the leading digital-media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by providing optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. We deliver style and substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices and destinations, from original video and editorial features, to live experiences and social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information and to browse content.
About the role:
This is the opportunity to take your career to the next level and be a part of Refinery29’s Experiential Team that produces, creates, ideates, and executes award-winning experiences and destinations for our tentpoles, brand partners and internal events. We want to harness your skills, ambition, and dreams as a multi-faceted, creative thinker and unleash your power to bring the Refinery29 brand to life across multiple touch-points physically and digitally. This role reports into the Vice President of Experiential and works with a sizable team of talented professionals.
What makes a R29’er?
- You have commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential. You are a magic maker who sees possibility and turns dreams into reality.
What you’ll do:
- You will be a part of the Experiential leadership team tasked with expanding our ever-growing experiential offerings.
- You will serve as a leader to the design team, offering up your creative, design and management expertise. This will include day to day oversight and management of the experiential spatial and graphic designers, as well as growing and mentoring the team by fostering an efficient, progressive and artistic aesthetic.
- You will be responsible for leading the environmental and design aspects of all activations including creative conception, floorplans, renderings, environmental graphics, construction documentation, lighting, sound, video, staging and more.
- You will help to facilitate the explosive growth of 29Rooms, the physical manifestation of the Refinery29 brand. We want to use your superpowers and your imaginative self-expression to bring the experience to life as we create more (and bigger!) 29Rooms events. Together, we’ll celebrate the transformative power of creativity to shift perception, heal, and drive change. After our 2017 activations, Instagram reported that 29Rooms reached HALF the people on the platform…that’s the reach and influence we want you to help cultivate as we venture into even more markets and explore furthering the 29Rooms program offerings.
- In addition to internal events, such as 29Rooms, you will bring your design expertise to our co-branded and white label activations, such as concerts, pop-ups, runway shows, performances, stunts, premieres, launch events, festivals, parties and more.
- You will have heavy involvement with Refinery29’s brand partners and will be entrusted with the message of national and/or globally recognized brands across many industries.
- You will conceptualize and innovate how our R29 brand is brought to life physically by leading strategic, unique initiatives and experiences for our audience that also have the potential to be packaged for partnership and sponsorship.
What you have:
- Overall expertise in design, marketing and experiential - the trends, issues and current context as well as the gusto to set new boundaries within the industry.
- Strong technical understanding of the design, production and build processes.
- The ability to embody our brand and set the direction of the team’s vision, style and methodology for Experiential endeavors.
- A passion for culture, trends, audiences and relevant brands; an interest in creating the future of storytelling through design, creativity, inspiration, and our mission and values. A commitment to nurture and embody inspiration and a desire to push the boundaries in environmental design.
- A proven track record and work experience that has honed your ability to go from conception to execution for a brand in all aspects of experiential design.
- Expertise in various sizes and formats of events, design practices, management of vendor relationships and ability to source new design and artistic talent.
- Significant experience leading teams, building work flow models, mentoring talent and ensuring deliverable adherence and excellence.
- Extensive experience in maintaining tight timelines within distinct budget parameters.
- Ability to create, enforce and harbor an idealized design process through a clear plan for how the Design team in Experiential approaches its work and collaborates across all departments.
- Desire to create a strong, empowered and positive team dynamic by using your tools, resources and guidance to set the team up for success and champions clear career paths for team members at Refinery29.
- Personality to work seamlessly with editorial, content, communications, talent, video, social, and brands to set the agenda for the company. We want you to help build and nurture relationships with cross-functional leads, stakeholders and brand teams.
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, AutoCAD, Vectorworks, Keynote. Execution knowledge from ideation through construction documentation.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates wild imagination as well as practical application of skills in art direction, custom fabrication, graphics, prop styling, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Industrial Design, Scenic Design, Architecture, Interior Design or related field plus 5+ years in a supervising role demonstrating significant management experience.
- Inventive ways to integrate sustainability, recycling, waste management and future use of materials post events.