Refinery29 is the leading digital media company for young women. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by delivering optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. Focused around core values of individuality, inclusivity, and impact, we create content that speaks to 360 degrees of a woman’s life, including editorial articles, original video programming, shareable social content across a variety of platforms, and live experiences. Our content sits at the intersection of style and substance, helping our audience live a more informed and inspired life.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have commitment and passion about the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential.
The Refinery29 UK office is looking for a Managing Editor to oversee the daily operations of our rapidly growing editorial team. This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced editor with excellent organizational and management skills, enthusiasm around creating more efficient editorial processes, strategic problem-solving and decision-making skills, strong industry contacts, and a solid understanding of both budgets and data insights.
Workflow and Content Management
- Oversee content production, answer content questions, legal concerns, and personnel issues for the R29 editorial, art and social teams
- Work closely with the Editorial Director to constantly challenge the team to conceive and execute the most cutting-edge content online, creating sharp programming that is voicey, shareable, and new
- Chair editorial meetings when required
- Work with EDITORIAL DIRECTOR and SENIOR EDITOR to building existing franchises and series into major content moments both on and offline for R29
- Be responsible for mapping a long-term content calendar featuring tentpoles and relevant global events
- Work with Marketing Manager to ensure R29 reaches monthly traffic goals
- Line Manage a small team and be responsible for their development and progression
- Track and reconcile department budget and be key point of contact for any finance enquiries relating to editorial department from R29 finance team and any freelancers/vendors.
- Manage the deadlines and process creation for all tentpole projects and packages on the global content calendar
- Act as the liaison between .com and .de to establish more effective production processes and workflow between the territories including investing significant time into mapping out ‘global’ content moments working closely with managing editor of .com
- Track SEO and trending production across categories with Marketing Manager
- Oversee editorial invoice and editorial contract distribution and management and serve as liaison between contributors and Finance
- Oversee onboarding for all new editorial hires
- Work with EE to ensure R29.com reaches monthly traffic goals and delivers on revenue goals
- Work with VP Business and Operations to track and reconcile department budget as it pertains to original photo and design, FTE hires, freelance hires, T&E, and miscellaneous internal spending
- Act as the liaison between branded content, social and editorial; establish more effective production processes and workflow